Saturday, October 9, 2021

POPPYSEED AND A WOODPECKER

 A froggy morning.  Looks like we could be in rural London.

We're invited out for the day, so I'm finishing up a poppyseed cake to take.  It's the Czech in me that keeps my Mom's recipe going.  Using a white Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mix, I stir it up according to directions and simply add lots of poppyseed.  For the frosting, I use two small boxes of instant lemon pudding.  Instead of four cups of milk, I use three.  Stir that up and in five minutes it thickens.  Then fold the Cool Whip in the pudding.  That's it.  Sometimes I sprinkle a few poppyseeds on top, sometimes I just leave it plain.  Makes a delish dessert, easy-peasy.

I've simplified Mom's way of making the frosting.  She used to first put the layer of lemon pudding on the cake, then top it with a layer of Cool Whip.  I mix the two together and actually prefer mine, which is lighter and fluffier. 

While we're gone, Cuddy will go down the hall to stay with Bob and Sharon.  They love the little bugger, and we're tickled pink to have a place for him to go.  We learned yesterday that Cuddy will be staying with us a good share of the winter.  We're going to put astro-turf down on the deck outside and try to get him to go potty out there over the snowy cold season.  Will be a reprieve for both Dale and Cuddy.  It's that business of simplifying life.  

I see the sun is trying to peek out of the clouds.  Will be a nice day for a trolley.  Yesterday I spent most of the day watching detective movies and reading.  Found a 3-part British crime drama on You Tube....Rose and Maloney.  Watched all three one-hour episodes and see now there's a second series for maybe tonight.  Rose and Maloney are the detectives and quite the characters.  Sure takes a person's mind off of reality, and that's a good thing for every mind these days when the world feels upside down and inside out. 

Yesterday we had a woodpecker visit our deck.  The photo I quickly snapped is blurred by the screen, but at least I captured the little sweet creature.  He pecked on our "unwrented" wren house.

3 comments:

  1. I'm copying your recipe. My Aunt Genevieve Dvorak made a wonderful poppy seed cake. I thought it was in the St. Wenceslaus cookbook but going through it I don't see it. I did find a Chocolate Marshmallow Roll by Leanne Benda though. Those old church cookbooks are great. I think I started a collection of recipe books just by accident. I love cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice....the poppyseed cake was delicious, even if I say so myself. If you try it, hope you like it.

    Yes, I remember Mom and I putting the Chocolate Marshmallow Roll recipe in the Spillville cookbook years ago. Also remember standing by the kitchen table with Mom and rolling up the chocolate cake with the filling inside. That was a challenge, but was yummy. Haven't made that since married, probably cuz I never was very domestic. Bet you have some cool recipe books collected over time! ~L

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wuz going to add I think I've heard that name before. Hee Hee

    ReplyDelete