Sunday, October 17, 2021

DESERTS OF THE WORLD

Two of our Venny friends returned from a trip to visit national parks in Colorado and New Mexico.  The cliff dwellings have always interested me, so I followed their photos and videos closely.  Got me thinking about deserts in general.  

Neither of us are keen on the desert terrain.  It's great to see for the experience, but to spend time in those regions just isn't for us.  My 'wiggly' phobia simply does not allow me to be comfortable in places where they live.  Just the way it is.  The desert regions are fascinating, tho, and I'm able to absorb and appreciate their earthly contribution without actually being there.  

This map shows the world's desert and semi-desert areas that receive extremely low amounts of rain.  These desert regions make up about one-third of the Earth's surface. 
  • The original meaning of the word desert is an abandoned place.
  • The Sahara Desert in northern Africa spans 12 countries.
  •  The Gobi Desert in north China is growing at a fast rate because of humans cutting down forests, droughts and other environmental factors.
  • The overall size of deserts is increasing .  Around 46,000 square miles of land are turned into desert every year.  Human forest clearing is one reason.
  • In defense of my 'wiggly phobia,' the most fierce wiggly  in the desert is the inland taipan found in the deserts of Australia.  Some scientists consider it the most venomous wiggly in the world.  A single taipan bite can inject enough venom to kill 80 men...20 times worse than venom from the king cobra.
  • The sidewinder rattler is another dandy desert dweller.  (Can't even type the s____ word.  Creeps me out.
The boyfriend is watching the Packers and Bears game.  Our patio door is open to let the fresh air in.  A chicken is in the crockpot for supper, so it's gonna be a lazy afternoon at our house.  Can't beat it with a stick!  

5 comments:

  1. Doug and Bonnie.....Dale roots for the Packers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same phobia, if you remember, and I still can't speak the "word". Everyone in my family knows it, too. When we visited the Grand Canyon about 10 years ago, I couldn't linger at the rim, even in January. I viewed it from the car windows mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tall Cottage.....our kindred spirit connection will always amaze me.....thank heavens we found one another.

    ReplyDelete