Friday, October 15, 2021

GREAT DEPRESSION COOKING

Being raised by parents who lived through the Great Depression, I learned early on the meaning of the phrase WASTE NOT.....WANT NOT.

Yesterday on You Tube I came across Clara's Great Depression Cooking.  Clara is in her 90s when she makes her videos and shares the simple recipes used to feed families in a time of poverty.  After watching a few of Clara's, I ventured onto other YT videos and came across a recipe that I'd never heard of.  

Think how bad it must've been for people to make broth out of sweet corn cobs.  Instead of throwing the cobs away after cutting off the sweet corn, they boiled 'em in water and added a bit of butter.  The result was a sweet broth served with broken Saltine crackers.  Let the world laugh, but next sweet corn season I'm gonna try this corn broth.  It'll be a momentary visit to the past. 



There's a lot of talk about possible food shortages in our near future.  Don't know whether it's fake news or real news, but it's important to consider possibilities.  Imagine the younger generations today having to eat corn cob soup.  It wouldn't bother me in the least, because I was raised to make the absolute most out of everything......whether it's food, money, time, etc.  One of the first life lessons taught to me was to save, save, save.  If I made a dollar, I put away a dime.  If I made ten dollars, I put away one.  Biblical tithing has more than one interpretation.

Both my boyfriend and I were raised by mothers who were good old-fashioned cooks.  Good food was a way for them to show their love.  The more we ate, the better they liked it.  I'd have to really sit and think hard to come up with a food we wouldn't eat. Cottage cheese is not my favorite, yet I love it in jello and in lasagna.  As for the boyfriend, well, he's as easy to please as it gets.  

We're not sure when Cuddy, our baby dumpling, is going back home.  He came a week ago today, and they thought they'd be gone for a week.  It's so funny, they ask us if they can pick him up.  One time Cuddy's mommy texted and asked if they could pick him up and take him back to his 'prison.'  They know we treat their little man like he is our own.  Believe me, it's not easy giving him back.  It takes me a couple of days to get over his absence.  He's a little twink.

Think today I'm gonna take apart some old beaded jewelry, soak the beads in hot water and Dawn soap overnight, so tomorrow I can make something I have in mind to give to my personal physician.  He could be my son, so why not treat him like one.  I love giving things to appreciative others.

Time to refill the coffee cup.  Ta-ta.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm interesting broth but I think it would be good. One of the strangest things my Grandma Dvorak would make was a bowl of chicken feet. She took the hide/sink off and cooked in water I guess. Diane or Mary Ann might remember that better since they lived with her after Grandpa died. Or she would have warm milk over toast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great memories, Alice. Mom made the chicken feet, too, and as a kid I ate them and thought nothing of it. As for milk toast, I loved taking a slice of toast, putting salt on it, and then covering with warm milk. I think we grew up eating the Depression foods and didn't realize. Once in awhile at home still I'd go in the yard and pick dandelion greens, wash em up and put salad dressing on. Nice salad. Now everyone sprays the lawns. We're survivors, tough birds. (giggle)

    ReplyDelete