Saturday, May 25, 2024

POPPY FIELDS

The fur baby arrived at 2:30 yesterday afternoon.  She just now finished breakfast and is curled up on my lap.  This is one time I'm quite okay with my soft pillow-like lap.  A bony body wouldn't be as comfy for the little mouse.

Thank heavens, we were spared from damaging storm winds yesterday.  We got rain and that was it.  A cloudy overcast day, and, no, we didn't get groceries.  The days of having to do things are in our rear-view mirror.  Sure, some day I'll have to leave this world, but until then, I'll do as I darned please.  (The boyfriend says that I talk big sometimes.)

Worked on my June newsletter article.  The editor has pushed his publish date up closer to the beginning of each month.  I like to edit my articles days apart, because fresh ideas come to mind all the time.  It's different from writing this blog.  Here, my fingers just type my thoughts, I hit the 'publish' button, and that's that for the day.  Most mornings when I get up, I have not a clue what will be posted.  

The boyfriend and I each have separate grocery lists going, and he has offered to go shopping today.  I'm one to try new recipes, so my list has some ingredients that may require him to hunt up and down the aisles.  Don't want to put him through that, so think I'll place my order online and he can pick it up.  His list he wants to get at WM anyway.  My job today is spending time with Buffy Baby Boo.  

Am a stuck record when it comes to talking on and on about the canine cuties.  The smaller they are, the more they appeal to me.  My all-time favorite breeds are Bichon, Shih Tzu and Yorkie.  This little girl that's laying in my lap just loves having me hold her head in my hands, look into her eyes and talk to her.  It's as if she soaks up the love like a sponge soaks up water.  Each time we puppy sit for her, the attachment grows.  I can see this happening both ways.  How blessed can we be.

The boyfriend watched the girl's basketball game on his phone last night.  Now we have reason to root for the Indiana Fever girls, and last night they beat the LA Sparks 78-73.  Two sports that I enjoy watching...basketball and baseball.  As a little girl, our Sundays were spent down at the park 'cuz my daddy was a devoted and very handsome baseball player.  All the guys knew him as "Chink" or "Chinky," and I have no idea why or how he earned the name.  I think about him a lot and have a list of things we could visit about.  When we're young, we don't think about asking our parents serious questions.  Anyway, I didn't.  Life back then wasn't a serious deal to me.  Thought life would last forever, and now I'm nearing the finish line and realize it doesn't.  

Bought myself a floral watering can for my herb garden.   It's actually smaller than I thought, but that's okay.  It's cute nonetheless. 

The lady across the hall from us is moving closer to her children, so we'll be getting a new neighbor.  She lost her husband not too long ago, so the move makes perfect sense.  Late life requires harsh decisions and parting of ways.  Guess we're all walking on banana peelings and shards of sharp glass.

As a way for me to honor Memorial Day and its meaning, may I share a couple of paragraphs about the traditional poppy.  

Poppy Fields
After World War I, the poppy flower flourished in Europe.  Scientists attributed their growth to soils in France and Belgium becoming enriched with lime from the rubble left by the war.  From the dirt and mud grew a beautiful red poppy, which came to symbolize the blood shed during battle, following the publication of the wartime poem, "In Flanders Fields."  The poem was written while serving on the front lines.  

September 27, 1920, the poppy became the official flower of The American Legion to memorialize the soldiers who fought and died during the war.  In 1924, the distribution of poppies became a national program of The American Legion.

Each year poppies are distributed with the request that the person receiving the poppy make a donation to support the future of veterans, active-duty military personnel and their families with medical and financial needs.

Poppy Day is celebrated around the world.  The American Legion brought National Poppy Day to the United States by asking Congress to designate the Friday before Memorial Day as National Poppy Day.

Best finalize my grocery list and place my order for pickup.  My wishes for weekend safety go out to all.......ta-ta.

2 comments:

  1. Loved the history of the poppy!…and the watering can…images of Buffy on your lap!!!…M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo M's Comment. She wrote what I was thinking. I will add I intend to look up the words to the poem. Have a great Memorial Day Weekend.

    ReplyDelete