Tuesday, May 14, 2024

SPEND VS. INVEST

Yesterday afternoon, while sitting on the deck reading a book, I needed to nibble on something.  About the only thing in the fridge was a bag of carrot sticks.  Can you imagine I've reached the point in life where I buy them cut into sticks, rather than cut them up myself?  Regardless, I tried something new.  

Took a bunch of 'em out of the bag, put them in my Drew Barrymore Air Fryer, sprayed 'em with olive oil and sprinkled on Accent Salt.  Put 'em in the Air Fryer at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.  Holy Lord, they were like eating french fries, not as crispy, but absolutely the best nibble imaginable.  They kinda tasted like sweet potato fries.  

The boyfriend has a dental appointment after lunch, and I'm staying home.  This is perfect weather for porch sitting and reading.  The boyfriend called my attention to something he was reading the other day.  He said, "Listen to this, it's just like us.  Retirement is the time in life where you can design your day however it suits you."  Thought that was a great way to explain to people why we love our retirement.  There are those, sadly, who do not have the ability to design their own day.  Not us.  One might say, we're professional designers, each of us designing our individual days.  We're open and respect one another's interests, cuz life has made me sort of a hermit-nerd, where the boyfriend has a doctorate in socializing.  I visit with my fingers on the internet, while he visits on the phone or in person.  Psychologists would say I probably have a problem, but they're not the ones designing my days. 

Leo Tolstoy wrote in War and Peace, that the two most powerful warriors are patience and time.  There's a big difference in how we SPEND our time and how we INVEST our time.  

Best say toodle doo.  

2 comments: