Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Country schools still stand in the rural areas, and I can't help but think about the days when little farm kids learned their reading, writing and 'rithmetic in these one-room structures. 

Drove past this particular one on Easter Sunday.  It's unique corner door and steps is what caught my eye.   Most of the old school houses out here have the doorway in the front center.We passed by the school on our way and took these pictures on our way home.  Always on the lookout for the different and unique leftovers from another generation.

Mom went to country school when she was a little girl.  She and her younger brother lived 2 miles from the school. 


Sometimes she'd ride a pony, other times they'd walk.   

Mom told me about the wood stove that heated the little school.  In the winter, her teacher would sometimes bring milk and potatoes and make the kids soup on the wood stove.  Mom was a grown mother when I heard her say, 'That  was the best potato soup I ever ate to this day."  

This shows the value of sharing stories with younger generations.  Never know how much they're listening and how much of that information they'll carry with them throughout their life journey.  

2 comments:

  1. Unusual school with the corner door. Thanks for sharing.
    I repeat stories to my girls, as they were relayed on down to me. I don't think either will forget hearing about Aunt Sarah Yutzler who lived in Fink Hollow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy, think you have the makin's for a book with a title like Aunt Sarah Yutzler From Fink Hollow! That's filled with intrigue and possibly humor.

    ReplyDelete