Sunday, September 15, 2024


This is the morning after our 60th class reunion.  The boyfriend and I were high school classmates.  What a night.  Our small class has dwindled down, but 17 of us got together for drinks, dinner, pictures and reminiscing.  Honestly, I know families whose heartstrings aren't as strong and tight as our class of 1964.  The party started at 4:30 p.m., and at 10 o'clock we were among the last to drive out of the parking lot.  Hands waving out the windows and calling out 'good-bye.'

There's one word that describes last night the best, and that is BLESSED.  Some of us are fortunate to still be alive.  All of us find ourselves in total disbelief that we are the age we are.  Seems like we were young, then we woke up one morning and we had unknowingly aged to where we are now.  The likeness among us humans is remarkable.  Yup, blessed is the word.

The message passed around last night.....we must make the most of the moment, cuz we never know when things will spin out of control and life will change or go away.  Some of the gals are widows, and I listened deep to them share the business of having to face life alone, simply struggling to live life by the minute, then the hour, then the day....until life was bearable.....but never to be whole again.  

The saddest part of our reunion, for me, was when we first arrived.  We walked in with another couple and there he was.  One of the guys who always joked and teased.  Sadly, a metal walker gave him balance to stand.  My silly side returned to high school days, and I teased him as I walked closer to him.  That's when I realized he was looking at me but his usual laughter was nowhere in sight.  I kept babbling, and then I realized he didn't know who I was.  My heart sank, as I asked him, "Do you remember me?"  His eyes looked into mine and he whispered, "No."  OMG.  That's when I recognized his malady.  I carefully explained who I was, that we sat close to each other in study hall, and are good buddies.  Dear Lord, why are good people taken from us, while the rats are left to crawl the earth?  There was a funny part to our 'disconnected connection.'  He said to me, "You sure don't look like you did in high school."  Lesson:  with dementia comes honesty.

My boyfriend mentioned this morning that last night felt like a farewell party.  It was the best reunion we've ever had.  After graduation, we scattered in different directions, lived out the decades, but now when all's said and done, it feels like we're still teenagers in school.  What an incredible life blessing.  We know the future is going to be hard, but no matter what we're handed, we must accept and forge ahead until that final moment when it's our turn to wave good-bye.  So sad, my eyes are swimming in tears.  

That is a snapshot of our 60th.  We have treasured photographs, but privacy is as precious as my classmates.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a gift of memories you had, Leanne. Is sad to realize the passage of time…your “brain” is still in high school with all its wonderful memories…but time has changed your lives in so many ways. How many of your classmates are physically close in Iowa? Maybe another reunion in a few years? (I felt this way when I left the Midwest in early Sept…childhood memories…but the passage of time, and my absence brought sadness)…M

    ReplyDelete