Tuesday, September 10, 2024

LARGE-HEARTED MOTHER NATURE


My love for the lake country can only be expressed by this photo that the boyfriend took of me while I was waving my arms to the water gods.  The wind blew waves onto the shore and nearly pushed me over.  That's why I needed to anchor my right foot into the sand.  This is Leech Lake, where we spent summers on and in the water, plus at Agency Bay which is across the Onigum Road.  Talk about a baptism into the world of Mother Nature. 

I walked up the beach and picked up a few small rocks to take home and put in my Memory Jar.  A tear falls down my face as I think of being by the lake and not knowing for certain if we'll ever return.  It's that business of making the most of meaningful moments.  Just the fact that one is still able, after fifty years, to feel these soothing forces of Nature, is really special.  The vacations that have meant the most to me have been by and in the waters of creeks, lakes, rivers and oceans.  I love rainy days.  Nothing is more comforting to my soul than an overcast rainy day.  Add a roll of thunder, and that's where it's at for me.  

We are blessed to live in a part of the planet where water is plentiful and safe to drink.  Another blessing we take for granted on an ordinary day.  The first 8 years of my life my family didn't have running water in our old stone house.  We had a water pail on the kitchen counter with a common drinking dipper.  It was white enamel trimmed in black.  Saturday nights we took our weekly wash in a galvanized tub in the kitchen.  We pumped the water by hand into pails and carried it into the house. 

Just a bit ago I received a text from my sis-by-law Debbie along with a picture of this morning's sunrise by their place.  She sez it's okay if I share it here......


No comments:

Post a Comment