Thursday, September 26, 2024

REMEMBER DRAWING AS A KID?

 

Here is a link to a free course on learning to draw for beginners.  I watched the first video and feel the gal presents herself in a simple, understandable manner.  That's an important quality in any teacher.  Just thought maybe there's another like me who'd like to privately fuss around with a sketch pad and pencil.  I'm still at the level where I draw stick people, trees and little houses with peaked rooftops with smoke coming out of the chimney.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ing1x95WZ_I&list=PL-i_GDP6hCKlHXwGiguwu5z3xtYPhjrQK&index=3

My daddy's auntie was an artist, having painted quite a few pictures.  I was never privy to any of them.  My daddy was a lefty and he'd draw for me little horses and rabbits.  Obviously, he had an undeveloped talent, maybe a titch of his auntie's artistic ability.  It's my thought that just maybe there's something inside of me, too, that may respond to the teachings of someone who draws.  I have an unexplainable interest in art, not the abstract stuff, but rather the likes of Van Gogh and Seurat, the inventor of pointillism.  One day I just might do a blog series about Seurat.  I'm intrigued mostly by those who have a style of their own.  

It's wise for us oldies to find ways to occupy our minds, in ways other than listening to the world's woes.  Turmoil is contagious, and watching and listening to the media can pull us into the sewers.  That's just not an acceptable way for us to live out our days.  It's that business of taking charge of what we feed our minds so we are able to live at a higher level of thinking.  

The construction workers across the road are busy as ants moving dirt in preparation for the new addition to the growing campus out here.  It's interesting to watch a project that starts out as a cornfield and will eventually end up being a top-draw home for the aged.  I'm not getting into the business of aging, cuz that's another train of thought that can lead to the business of waste management.  Get my drift???

In a way the boyfriend and I are hunkering down and are not going to be socializing with bigger groups, cuz of my upcoming surgery.  I swear I've waited over a year and cannot and will not jeopardize myself by catching the Covid critter that cancels any surgeries.  My cautious self is kicking into gear.  We've learned that it's better to be safe than sorry.  Another phrase that's come to us from the wisdom of the past.

Last evening we enjoyed happy hour on the deck, along with the boxelder bugs and bees.  Boxelders are attracted to the warm sunny side of houses. They're around all summer, but come out in late fall to look for places to hibernate.  While sitting out there sipping a vodka-tonic-lime, I finished reading J.D. Vance's Hillbilly Elegy.  Gotta say that J.D. gives the reader an honest look into his life.  The key word for me is "honest." 

No comments:

Post a Comment