Tuesday, September 24, 2024

GRAIN-STORING STRUCTURES{

Silos fascinate me.  I've posted silo photographs taken in the past, and this is the most recent one.  It's on Cuddy's daddy's farm.  The vines add an extra layer of autumn beauty to its well-kept brick structure.  

The word 'silo' comes from the Greek word siros, which means 'holding grain.'  Silos were originally used to store grain and keep it safe from bugs and moisture.  

The first silos were made of stone as far back as 1700-1800 BC. 

This one pictured is in exceptionally good structural condition.  Wouldn't it be cool to make it into some kind of a silo house or tree house, or whatever might come to mind?  I can't help but wonder how they stacked the bricks in perfect circles?  This was back in the 1800s or early 1900s. 

Stone Granaries - Portugal
Pictured on the right are stone granaries located in Lindoso, Northern Portugal.  Aren't they about the most fascinating ever?   I'd give anything to see them up close in person.  Talk about a chunk of super-cool history.  I've never seen anything like them before.

Not one day passes anymore that I don't find something online in some corner of the world that is positively mind-boggling.  Having lived the first 8 years of my life in an old 3-story stone house, my interest and appreciation for stone structures just cannot ever get satisfied.  When we're driving on our trolleys and I spot a house or barn or out-building made of stone, we back up the car so I can take a picture home with me.  

2 comments:

  1. Am learning a lot from “your” researching!! I don”t think I have ever seen a brick silo. The ivy is interesting…ivy can kill a tree…wonder what kind of nutrients it is getting from brick ;-)…and then I wonder about your stone house and the tornado prone area you grew up in!!!…M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I could write a book about those first 8 years in the old stone house. It baffles me sometimes how much I remember from my earliest years. ..... As to the silos, I have taken scads of pictures of these beloved old structures that are left standing in the elements.

    ReplyDelete