Thursday, January 25, 2024

Just never know how a day will unfold.

Initially, it was I who had the routine doctor's appointment today.  The boyfriend's routine appointment was scheduled for Monday past but was canceled by the clinic.  The caring person that I am (clearing throat), I offered up today's appointment to the boyfriend...thus, getting myself off the hook.  Well, yesterday the clinic called to remind both of us of our appointments for today.  Hmmmm......that odd, cuz I thought I had canceled mine.  Turns out, the doctor is seeing both of us today.  We could opt for a duo appointment, or he would see each of us separately.  That was a no brainer.  We're having the lab done first and then we'll see the doctor together.  Easy-peasy.  Hope the numbers game plays out in our favor.  The state of one's health is all about numbers.  

I'm such a dweeb when it comes to going to the doctor.  It matters not that I have probably the kindest and sweetest doctor in the world.  The anxiety prevails no matter how hard I try to defeat it.  It's like I'm a child, instead of someone in their seventh decade.  

So it is that I confess to another of my human frailties.  Just don't like the spotlight on myself.  Going along to someone else's medical appointments is a breeze.  Not a twinge of anxiety.  But, when I'm the patient, it drives me nuts.  Maybe I need a shrink.

After our appointments we're going out for lunch.  Am going to let the boyfriend pick the restaurant.  Fasting lab work means our appetites will be antsy by noon.  

"A good physician treats the disease.

A great physician treats the patient who has the disease."

~William Osler 

No comments:

Post a Comment