Monday, May 23, 2022

VELVET NIGHTMARE

Frost on the rooftops this a.m..  Checked the garden, thankfully no damage.  A gorgeous May morning, the air nice and cool, as we like it.

Yesterday was so much fun.  Our friends served meat loaf, scalloped potatoes, candied carrots, French garlic Parmesan toast, with a rhubarb dessert.  The meat loaf was glazed with a topping of ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire and brown sugar.  Hadn't ever put a glaze on meatloaf, other than just plain ketchup.  That'll change from now on.  

I'm the one in the household who likes sauces to jazz up the taste of foods.  Boyfriend not so much.  He prefers the taste of the actual food.  Ketchup is my first choice on lots of foods and Heinz 57 on steak.  If it wasn't for Ortega Hot Taco Sauce, well, I wouldn't need to bother eating tacos or taco salads.  Interesting how our taste buds differ.  Guess I like all things hot!

Well, am struggling with my first trial Kawandi piece.  Last night at bedtime, the decision was made to place it neatly in a garbage bag and toss it in the big bin.  Working with velvet for this type of quilting is pretty much enough to put this girl over the edge.  Absolutely love the work, but really chose the worst possible fabric for learning.  This morning that voice in the back of my head is haunting me with those two frickin' words.....don't quit.  Guess my morning brain is perkier than my night brain.  The boyfriend sees the piece through different eyes and thinks it's too pretty to toss.  It's kinda like the cook that can't ever praise her own food.  So will keep plugging away.

The old-fashioned wimpy needle threader broke, so threading the needle is another task that's bugging me.  Gonna order another needle threader.  Have seen where they have some new plastic gadget that will work.  Am sewing with six strands of embroidery thread.  Started out with three and kicked it up to six.  Separating the threads was making me crazy, as well.  

Wanted to stay in bed later this morning, but the pooch thought otherwise.  The little man was hungry, gobbled his breakfast like he was starving.  Now that he's gone outside, eaten and been out on the deck a couple of times, he's ready to nap in his little bed.  What a twink.

Best be sipping more java and read a bit before threading my needle.  Have three books going now and go one to the other.  Let's all keep breathing and blinking till we meet again.  Ta-ta.

3 comments:

  1. I've been wondering how the dinner was. One of my favorite meals. I like bacon and corn flake crumbs on top of my scalloped potatoes (no cheese) and I also top my meat loaf with corn flake crumbs, tomato soup and green pepper slices.
    I agree with your Boyfriend about not tossing the Kawandi and then we're not the ones trying to sew it. I have a cute little hummingbird threader that works great and the beak covers the sharp point when I'm ready to stow it till needed again. Good Luck in your search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sent you a pic of mine. I saw the other threader I believe you're referring to. Either would work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorites is meatloaf, mom always did a ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard and nutmeg but then I tried Paula Deen's recipe and it has ketchup, br. sugar and prepared mustard. That's good too.

    ReplyDelete