Tuesday, May 17, 2022

RHUBARB

The one domestic gene inside me had a burst of energy yesterday.  The boyfriend picked rhubarb from the community patch.  Like tulips, rhubarb is an annual springtime delight.  The day was ideal, so Cuddy and I sat out on the deck while I chopped up the rhubarb for a dessert.  Two boxes of Jiffy Cake Mix were waiting to be used, so this is what I put together.

Into the 4-5 cups of rhubarb, put 1 c. brown sugar, 6 T melted butter and one packet of sugar-free strawberry jello.  Mixed that up and put it on the bottom of a baking dish.  Stirred up the two white Jiffy cake mixes according to directions.  Poured the batter over the rhubarb and baked it for about an hour at 350.  Gotta say it turned out to be one of the best rhubarb desserts ever, topped with Cool Whip.  Best part is all the ingredients were in the cupboard, easy-peasy.  


Looks like rain.  Overcast.  It's interesting how the lawn looks such a bright green on cloudy days.  There's gotta be some kind of lesson for us humans to learn from that fact.  

Had another yippee moment yesterday.  A book that I ordered arrived at my door.  "The Overstory," the 12th novel written by Richard Powers.  Took Cuddy out on the deck with me and read the first chapter.  Talk about fate......the first paragraph mentions "Thoreau" and the first chapter takes place in Iowa.  The book is highly touted and in the opening chapter, the chestnut tree is the subject of moral regard.  

Our dinner with Cuddy's parents was postponed until tonight.  We're serving a simple supper of sloppy joe's, cheesy potatoes, and the ramen noodle coleslaw with almond slices.  They're bringing dessert.  Cuddy will go home with them, so it's a bitter-sweet evening planned.  

Am plugging away at the Kawandi quilt wall hanging.  The use of my left hand has kicked up the arthritis to the point where am thinking of ordering some kind of maybe silicone jell glove that fits tight on the hand.  I see them being sold on eBay with little magnets.  Don't know what the magnets are supposed to do for a worn-away joint, but guess it sells.  When pain is concerned, we try any minimal relief we can find.  My right thumb joint was replaced with a tendon transfer about ten years ago.  My poor hands take quite a beating, and I think they're tired.  Guess it goes with the years.  Sewing by hand tells me what it's like to be a pin cushion. 

 It's great fun to have use of the deck again.  Just love sitting out there and reading or sewing or cutting up rhubarb, or whatever.  Covid social distancing changed me.  It was a way for me to realize just how much solitude means.  Have no desire to be out and among strangers who might still be potential carriers of the coronavirus or an assault rifle.  Call me crazy, and that's perfectly fine.  We're all wired differently.  What one enjoys might drive the next person nuts.  It's that thing called balance.  Maybe if we were all alike, the planet would get lopsided and fall out of orbit. 

Boyfriend has a council meeting at 10, and I will be in the kitchen putting together the supper menu, setting the table and tidying up.  Well, the little fuzzy one is telling me he wants to go out on the deck, so best honor his wishes.  Ta-ta and stay safe. 

3 comments:

  1. You had a busy day.
    Your rhubarb dessert looks like it turned out well.
    I ordered "The Overstory" for the Mr.'s birthday the end of this month. It arrived yesterday. Makes me wonder why we both would receive them on the same day. Then, again, I shouldn't wonder. I don't know as he has read any Richard Powers. He will now. I also ordered Grisham's newest book but it isn't to be released until the 31st. The Mr. will know about it but will have to wait to read it.
    We had severe thunderstorms in our area all day yesterday. No damage around, thank goodness. I do agree about green lawns. Ours looked so fresh; it's refreshing to see.
    Enjoy your supper and hearing about some National Parks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Started reading "The Overstory" and think your Mr. will enjoy reading it. Of course, just started, but one can feel a good read from the first paragraph. Tis something that we'd receive the book the same day, but then coincidences in our lives are quite the norm, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete