Friday, December 24, 2021

CHRISTMAS EVE - A CANDLE IN THE WINDOW

Woke up this morning to fog, of all things on Christmas Eve Day.  Guess we won't have a White Christmas.  Like the boyfriend says, as long as we have each other, nothing else matters.  And, he's very right.  It's just that I begged Santa for snow, and my not getting it, makes me wonder if my behavior has anything to do with it.

A kettle of chili bubbles on the stove, for later in the day.  Bought Alaskan King crab dip/salad yesterday, plus we have some cheese and crackers to nibble on.  No exchange of presents anymore.  Instead of presents on calendar days, we do nice things for each other all year long.

Christmas, for me, is the time of year when I easily get mooshy and memories flood over me.  When I think of all those that I've lost, one by one, it shows just how much smaller my world has become.  Remember when I was a little girl, I'd think about having my grandparents, parents, brother, aunts, uncles, cousins, school friends and neighbors on the farm.  Today my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, one first cousin, all of the neighbors on the farm, and some of my grade school and high school friends are all gone.  Then there are those that have left my life at their own choosing.  This is the best definition of LIFE.  

On the flip side of the coin, there are those new friends, who are like my new family, who are here to share their same life experiences.  Together, we re-live the past and help one another let go and grab hold of the present.  It's that way for all of us.  

Since 2019 up until now, life has changed and all of us face new challenges.  The social scene has changed, crime has increased and moved closer to home, and our children face situations our generation wouldn't have dreamed could happen.  When we were kids, we watched westerns on t.v., the shoot-outs and fights in saloons with the swinging doors, and that was the extent of the violence.  Now days, there's shootings in stores, schools, on the highways, and even drive-bys in all levels of neighborhoods.  It's a tough world, and then add a pandemic to the batter, and what a mixture of unrest, discord, disagreement and division one gets.  These are my Christmas thoughts, sad thoughts.  To have a heavy fog hanging over us today, almost makes me wonder if Mother Nature is in full agreement.  

Today's posting ends with a wish filled to the brim with love for all those who follow my days.  Thank you from my heart.

A candle in the window
symbolizes light and warmth...
and the belief that there's always light
even in the darkest of the times.

3 comments:

  1. Drove my younger one and her daughter to the Albany Airport for their non-stop flight to Orlando and Disney World for the Christmas Break. She'd paid for it before the pandemic hit and would lose it if she didn't use it before Dec. 31, so God bless them as they enjoy a wonderful vacation in a place they both love. They haven't had a vacation in over 2 years. I wish them well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope they had a great vacation at Disney World. After these last two years, a light-hearted, carefree vacation will treat them well. Please say hi to your girls for me, from their Aunt Lee-Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will. They speak of you often. They have happy memories of our visit.

    ReplyDelete