Thursday, April 4, 2024

THE SECRET LIFE OF SUNFLOWERS

We're soon off for a trolley, with errands along the way.  The day is overcast, and would fall under the gloomy category.  33 degrees now, according to my weather app.  Patches of snow out in the field.  The snow that covered our deck has melted.  Every day is like the vintage magic slate.

On eBay I ordered the book 'The Secret Life of Sunflowers' by Marta Molnar.  The author writes, "Johanna Bonger was a real person.  She was married to Theo Van Gogh, Vincent's brother.  In the novel, I tried to stay as close to Johnna's real story as possible.  I pieced together her life from her diary and from letters between Vincent and Theo."   

This book is an ideal way to follow up the study of Van Gogh's works.  The print is easy to read, and I'm chomping at the bit to start reading it.  It's that business of making sure one has something fun to look forward to.  

Thinking about books brings back memories of shopping at Barnes & Noble.  I remember picking out a few books and paying for them with plastic.  That way it didn't hurt as much as if I'd have taken cash out of my billfold.  Ouch!  After parting with most of my beloved books when we moved to Venny, I've changed gears and now buy pre-read books at a far lower cost.  Of course, the covers get cleaned with Clorox wipes.  The Kindle is a wonderful new-age option for reading, but I prefer the book itself.  Books are part of my DNA.

The boyfriend wants to be on the road by 9:30, so best close.   Ta-ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment