Friday, April 5, 2024

ROCKS ALONG THE WAY

Probably the highlight of yesterday's trolley was driving under the canopy of the Barrel Drive-In for lunch.  My favorite is their BBQ sandwich and greasy yummy onion rings.  Trying to eat in the car is a task in itself, but we managed very well.  The boyfriend ordered french fries with his BBQ.  Yup, it felt like there were no years between the 1960s and yesterday, just the two of us going out on a date.....and eating at a drive-in.  As Andy Griffith used to say, "Them's good eats!"

Roads less traveled are the ones we choose to drive on our day trolleys.  We always find something that piques our interest.  Yesterday was no different.  Actually, several times we changed directions so I could take a pic.  Writing a daily post requires fresh ideas, and that's how we go out and find 'em.  

This intriguing rock formation was close to the side of the road.  Sadly, pictures never do Mother Nature justice as to Her beauty and uniqueness.  

By simply noticing that things exist, one stretches the mind's curiosity.  It wants to know how old the rock is, what stages of time it has been through, how the layers formed, how the unusual holes got into the rocks.  If rocks had a voice, what could they tell us?  Our questioning minds would have so much we'd want to ask the structures who have been around for millions of years.  When we think of the human life span being at most 100 years, we are simply drop-ins.  

Then I wonder how many people have driven by this same rock and never saw it.  There's that in life, too.  Growing up, my daddy taught me to be observant of things, and I'm thankful for his insight to life.  When we would drive to gramma's house as kids, we'd look for pheasants along the road, take note of how tall the corn had grown, we'd watch for wildlife, hawks sitting on fence posts, things happening at the moment.  I learned early on that Nature was an open book, with always something new to teach me.  It was a chance for me to see things others didn't.  

When we get to our last day, all we can ask ourselves is:  Did I make the most of my life?  Did I try to see and do that which was within my means?  Was I helpful?  kind?  Did I respect the little animals?  the big animals?  the birds?  the trees?  the flower?  the weeds?  You see, I do not believe in weeds.  Weeds is a label, and I don't like labels.  It's their world, too.   It takes an exercise in silence when others condemn the little yellow dandelion.  Poor little things are miniature suns, but they've been labeled as nuisances.  We cut down the dandelion, then plant yellow flowers in our beds.  Someone explain the sense of that to me.  Maybe I'm a fan of the less-loved, but I'd never apologize for that.  Given the chance to adopt a blend-of-breed dog or a $3,000 pure-bred?  Hands down, I'd choose the blend any day.  I'll choose the one with the sad eyes, the one who needs good old-fashioned love.  The pretty ones will have no problem finding fancy homes.

Today is filled with sunshine.  Snow accumulations in New England have reached up to 24 inches of snow in less than three days.  Power outages make for difficult living following these storms.  We are so very dependent on electricity, and we take it for granted.  Anyway, I know I do.  We fail to realize how blessed we are to only flip a switch for light.  Even candles have been replaced with battery candles, which look like the real deal.  That's the kind we have, mainly because of safety 'specially when we live in a 50-unit complex.  There's no reason for us at our age to have an open flame, simply for the sake of ambiance.  

The stores are selling fresh asparagus.  We used our air fryer to make asparagus bundles wrapped in bacon.  Worked perfectly, took 6 minutes at 375 degrees.  Tasty spring treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment