Sunday, April 14, 2024

U.S. food prices have risen 25% since 2019.  In January, the Labor Department reported the price of eating out skyrocketed 30% since January 2019.  A gratuity of 20 to 25% on top of the bill is expected.  Some restaurants take the liberty of including the tip with the bill.  We have to be ready to tip bellhops, tour guides, bus drivers, bartenders, taxi drivers and anyone who works in the service arena.  

Over the years, eating out was our joy.  We ate at places with prices within our monetary means.  It's how we celebrated special happenings.  That's now in the rear-view mirror.  Without winning the lottery, it makes zero sense for us to part with $100 simply to go out for dinner.  Do that five times, and that's $500.  Our frugality overpowers any desire to eat at a swanky restaurant.  Even the fast-food places have gotten to be outlandish.  Just the other day, we ordered a chicken sandwich, a hamburger, two orders of fries and one coffee, and our bill was $19+.  The servings have gotten smaller as the prices have gone higher.  

What baffles me is that people don't seem to mind spending that kind of money.  It's a joke at our house, as we wonder where the money forest is located.  Cuz, there's gotta be someplace this money is coming from.  Along with food prices, all other aspects of average living have risen, as well.  An old saying rings in my ears, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

We were with friends one day, and I was chirping about this.  The gal looked at me like I was nuts, and she said, well, it's not that bad.  I'm not sure, but there might be a difference of opinion here cuz one of us is using food-stamp plastic to pay for groceries.  That might make the difference in a lot of instances.  The work ethic and personal human pride have silently made their way out of the room.  

Where is all of this going?  Nowhere.  It's just me seeing things as I see them.  Our parents taught us life skills, and we are grateful for that gift.  I'm more than okay eating supper at home with my boyfriend, or maybe inviting guests over to join us.  Actually, when people open up with honesty, they enjoy eating at home more and being with friends.  I think the "herd mentality" is present and accounted for.  Peer pressure is a powerful disciplinarian.  Many are willing to put themselves in debt in order to "keep up with the Joneses."  

And, how about the cost of vehicles?  Can you imagine spending over $100,000 on a vehicle?  The cost of homes in our area is nearing $400,00 to half a million.  Holy Mother Mary, that's a lot of chips, and that's not counting insurance, upkeep, furniture, and most of all property taxes.  And the accumulating interest??????  Yup, there's a money forest out there somewhere, but I'll be darned if I know where it is.  

That's my jabbering for today.  Tis Sunday, and my intent is to get busy and do nothing, except read, trolley the internet, snack and kick back.  The boyfriend walked out to our garden plot to plan his planting.  It's an absolutely gorgeous day here, temps in the 70s and might get to the 80s by afternoon.  The Masters Tournament is still going, and the boyfriend wants to watch that.  I'll wear my earphones.  We're together in the same room, but each somewhere else.  What a gig!

No comments:

Post a Comment