Friday, March 17, 2023

This morning's sun is making up for yesterday's zero sunshine.  We had both rain and snow at different times of the day.  My lazy genes took over, and I accomplished zilch.  Got my brain entangled in YT videos about how restaurants are run in Japan.  One lady has owned/worked in the same restaurant for over 60 years.  She still makes the Tempura, which is deep-fried seafood and vegetables coated in a light crispy batter.  Another restaurant in Japan had posted a video of them making their own udon noodles, the thick noodles made with flour, water and salt.   
Tempura and Udon Noodle Soup
I'm a lover of Japanese and Chinese cuisine, although I put the bar up when it comes to eating raw fish or raw meats.  That custom is simply one that I'm not willing to even try.  Some of the YT mukbang (eating) videos show people eating raw meats and fish, and there's just something about it that is unsettling to me.

Some of our most fun dining experiences have been in restaurants where the food is prepared and served directly from grill to plate.  Jenpachi's hibachi was my absolute favorite, and their lobster sauce over rice is literally to die for.  The G-clan used that as our special place to gather.  Lots of laughs, especially when the staff poured sake` directly in Auntie's mouth.  OMG, the fun times we've had and will always remember.

These videos made me very hungry, and thank heaven the boyfriend decided to make a kettle of his famous chili for supper.  My will power completely abandoned me, and, like always, a second helping was consumed.  When food is delicious, I say eat.  I'd rather die chubby and happy than skinny and unhappy.  That's what you call rationalizing!

5 comments:

  1. None of that cuisine, sushi or any of it for me.
    Son-in-law was raised by the sea. Family comes from Bari, Italy so he likes calamari, squid, shrimp. Not me. Not a seafood lover at all.
    We're having corned beef, cabbage, boiled potatoes and carrots. Didn't make soda bread this year.
    I'm with you in that I'd rather be "fluffy" and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would liked to have had some corn beef and cabbage along with green beer but didn't. I usually look forward to that once a year. Never made it and too lazy to go out for supper in this cold windy day. Maybe next year. AK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a seafood lover, and have even tasted the seaweed and octopus salad at the Star Ocean Buffet. Can't say that will be repeated, but I tried. Come to think of it, how did I know if the octopus was cooked in any way? Yowza, now I think of that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seafood too. Scallops are one of my favorites. Crab is good but don't like to work that hard at getting to my food. Never had octopus, that doesn't sound good to me. I do like to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice.....guess what? Scallops are my favorites, too. Seared scallops dipped in hot butter "send me." (Remember us saying that as teenagers?) giggle

    ReplyDelete