Monday, March 20, 2023

The last couple of evenings I've been watching YT videos of Vietnamese cuisine.  In other words, the street vendors and the unique foods they offer.  My generation of young soldiers fought in Vietnam, so I feel guilty having anything to do with the word Vietnam itself.  

Our world is amazingly diverse.  I'd have no desire to travel to faraway places anymore.  Am a bona fide homebody, who calls herself an armchair tourist.  This way I stay safe, don't put myself in harm's way, and I can pick and choose the foods that I think I'd enjoy and disregard those that have no earthly appeal.


One such food is the Vietnamese duck blood cakes that congeal into a jello-like substance.  It's brown in color and literally enough to make me upchuck.  I'm not one who ever ate blood sausage either.  There's something very unappealing to me when I think of eating blood.  Don't know why I'm posting a picture of the stuff, but it helps convey what it's like.  

The citizens of the Eastern Hemisphere are fantastic artists when it comes to decorating their plates of food with vegetables.  The way they slice and serve their presentations.  We in America don't do that, other than in the elite restaurant settings.  It's all what one grows accustomed to.  

While I watch these videos, I can't help but think that it's only by biological chance that I wasn't born in another part of the world.  It's easy for me to put myself in their shoes and try to imagine living in another type of terrain.  

All my life I so enjoyed traveling, but the way the world is now....well, that desire has died.  Also, my age plays a big factor.  Getting sick in another country, falling and needing to be hospitalized, a whole bunch of possible scenarios make me very apprehensive.  That's just little old stay-at-home me.  What I do enjoy is listening to others tell me of their experiences.  Not in a bragging kind of way, but rather sharing what they saw, how they interacted with other cultures, the food, the weather and the photos they bring back.  That's how I extend my life by seeing the world through someone else's eyes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment