Saturday, March 18, 2023

NOBODY WANTS OUR STUFF

 If anyone read the blog I posted earlier today, well, it's been deleted by yours truly.  In said post, I spoke about my Santa collection as being one of my collections that needs a new home.  My preference was that it be "handed down as a gift from my heart," but I have since been reading about the actuality that nobody who's following in our footsteps "wants our stuff."  To them, our "passing down something we've cherished" is merely "a bunch of crap they wouldn't ever have bought in the first place and suddenly it's theirs to deal with."

Guess I've learned something the hard way today.  I'm done offering my stuff to anyone.  Knowing the different perspectives, far be it from me to burden anyone with anything.  

In my earlier blog I stated that I didn't know what to do with my sweet little Santas, each bought at a garage sale or a thrift store.  Yup, little unwanted Santas that I gave a home to, and each one became a memory of a certain part of my life journey.  I should've known better than to expect more.  Kinda makes me look silly as I guard the beautiful dish that was one of my gramma's wedding gifts.  

I'm still not sure what I'll do.  I'm sad on one hand, yet awakened to reality on the other.  We are so skilled at putting our own preferences onto others, that we expect them to see and feel as we do.  How wrong we are to do that.  Each person has his/her own views, desires and dislikes.  Goes to show that we keep right on a learning right to the end.  

The thought I need to concentrate on, as we continue to downsize, is:  nobody wants our stuff.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sure there are many who would be happy to receive your belongings and cherished treasures. I, for one, am intrigued by the Czech dish. Why not post a pic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure who I'm responding to, but my beloved Gramma's dish is not of Czech origin. It was a pre-1910 purple carnival glass grape design bowl with wavy edges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, LeeLee, Bug & Kell's Mom. Don't know why it showed up as anyonymous. Sounds beautiful. You can will it to be. Even if I'm departed, the girls would love knowing it was Aunt LeeLee's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My "pewter"' is acting up. "Be" was supposed to read "me". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tall Cottage, are you referring to the dish or the santa collection?????

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dish.
    Are the Santas ceramic?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. I sent you a photo of them via email.

    ReplyDelete