Wednesday, October 12, 2022

LOVE OF THE COURTROOM

My personal barometer is working like a charm.  Got out of bed and my back greeted me with a groan, and then the left knee followed suit.  Yup, it's raining.

Changed the photo on my blog.  The boyfriend took this photo Monday when we were on a trolley with Cuddy.  Yesterday I received text photos from his parents sent from Central Park in NYC.  Not only do I have the honor of caring for their pet, but can see today's world through their eyes.  Our one and only visit to The Big Apple was back in the 1970s.     

Sure is an overcast day, the kind a person feels like snuggling up with a good book.  In six hours I'll know if my 99-cent bid on an eBay book will win.  So far my bid is the only one, and the title is Sophie's World.  It's the story of a Norwegian teenage girl who is introduced to the history of philosophy when she's asked "Who are you?" in a letter from an unknown philosopher.  Sounds interesting to me, as does anything related to philosophy.  The book was written in 1991, by Jostein Gaarder in Norway and has been translated into 59 languages with over 40 million copies.  It's also been made into a film and a PC game, neither of which I know anything about.

Spent the great share of yesterday watching the closing arguments in the Parkland, Florida, school shooter's sentencing trial.  My personal interest is watching the actions of the trial lawyers, presiding judge, and the gallery of suffering parents who lost their babies in the school massacre.  The prosecuting attorney did a fine job of tying together the litany of facts.  Throughout, none of the defendant's attorneys impressed me, but my personal opinion matters only to me.  The next person may see them through different eyes and come to totally opposite conclusions.  

She did make one powerful statement, and that was that the death penalty is not necessary.  The life-in-prison-without-parole sentence satisfies the law.  The jury will receive its instructions this morning and will then begin deliberations.  

I get mentally tangled in these televised trials, get so engrossed, that all else fades into the distance.  My power of procrastination is overtaking me.  This is so unlike the person I used to be that it's not even funny.  But, in lotsa ways it's liberating to be free from the shackles of "should be doing."  Seems we humans are always being told the right way to live by the wrong people.  

Best get back to the courtroom.  I have to giggle when I think of my teenage self being held captive by Perry Mason and his devoted secretary, Della Street.  That's enough proof for me to think we each are destined to be who we are, but that's just my opinion. 

6 comments:

  1. I was thinking the other day how I'd enjoy seeing an old Perry Mason episode, or two or three. I liked Della. The other guy I can't remember. I can see his face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul Drake was the other guy, if I remember right. He usually wore light-colored suits, if memory serves me right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember light colored suits but not his name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't it be fun to watch a Perry Mason marathon on a snowy, blizzardy day? Cuddle with a blankie, sip coffee or hot chocolate, lean back and let the world go by!

    ReplyDelete