Tuesday, January 24, 2023

INDIAN FRY BREAD

Cuddy Snoozing
Stayed up until 1:30 this morning watching our individual interests on the laptops.  The little man in the house let us sleep until almost 8 this morning.  Now he's fast asleep on his corner of the couch covered up with his real daddy's t-shirt.  It's another glorious morning decorated with hoarfrost and a fog that makes the air look white. 

The boyfriend is watching the closing arguments in a murder trial that took three lives.  I've been flitting around the web in search of February newsletter topics.  My mind is in the refrigerator.  By that I mean that I'm thinking of the salad ingredients that patiently wait to be tossed together, with my favorite Ken's Lite Vidalia Onion Dressing.  

Outside our Venny unit, they're installing new carpeting in the hallway.  This is the year of new painting and new carpeting.  The complex is twenty years old, and fashion color trends change along with everything else in life.  We have to stay inside our unit while they're outside the door putting down glue and whatever else they do.  Neither of us has anywhere to go, so we're content to wait till the carpet is laid in our part of the 50-unit complex.  This year our unit had a new furnace installed and new sliding patio doors with built-in blinds.  

As I look out the window at the Adirondack chair that's my summer perch, it makes me realize the seasonal differences.  Some days mid-summer the sun is so hot, one can't sit out on the deck.  Now in January, one can't sit out on the deck because it's so cold.  Same chair, different elements.  

Ran across a recipe for Indian Fry Bread for Indian Tacos.  The recipe is so simple compared to some that require the use of yeast, letting the dough raise, and what all.  I'll share the recipe if anyone else cares to try it.  The best Indian Tacos are served in the Badlands of South Dakota.  Think we'd make a trip out there just to sit down and stuff ourselves silly.  It's fair to say that my palate is sated by hot-spicy Mexican cuisine more than the boyfriend's, but I do see him using the hot pepper flakes shaker more frequently.  One of the things I miss most about summer is ordering a walking taco at a small ice cream stand.  Here's the recipe.....

If someone would ask me what my favorite ethnic foods are, I'd have to say Chinese and Mexican.  We make good use of our electric wok for the Chinese stir fry recipes, and I'd be ecstatic if I could make fried bread like that in SD.  Am quite proficient in using chopsticks now.  Using them is just something I'd always wanted to learn.  

Ta-ta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment