Friday, February 11, 2022

WHERE THERE'S A WILL, THERE'S A WAY

Another crazy incident in my world yesterday.  Finished the final strand of my Boho Curtain and immediately went to the bedroom for the small lamp that sits on top of the roll-top desk.  An idea inside my brain was about to unfold into reality.  A Boho Bead Lampshade. 

Wish I'd have taken a picture of the shade before getting out my tools of destruction.  The shade is old and one with six wire dividers from the small top ring to the bottom large ring.  A paring knife made the first slice into the shade, and from there it was scissors and fabric ripper.  Migod, the shade was tightly sewn  and glued to the wire frame, so it had to have been made years ago.  Nothing is made that well these days.

The boys were napping while the lamp surgery was taking place.  About threw the frickin' thing out the window when the last part of the shade came off and all six of the wires collapsed.  Couldn't get the wires to stay in place at one time.  Would get two in and start for the third, when the other two collapsed.  Oh, forgot to mention during the cutting and ripping and peeling, the ripper slipped and went straight into my index finger.  One would've thought I'd cut my aorta the way it bled.  Must've poked through a vein, cuz the bottom of my finger immediately turned blue.  Grown girls shouldn't cry over something like this, so salve and a band aid fixed the wound.  By this time, the boyfriend needed to be awake to help me.

His first assessment was.....get a new lampshade.  First started with fine fishing line to tie the top rim to the bottom rim while the wires went in place.  That failed right off the bat.  Aha.....thread.  Had some thick red thread in my sewing box.  By this time, the boyfriend was seriously questioning my mental health and the need for counseling.  As I said, where there's a will there's a way, and giving up is not an option.  Told him to hold the damned thing while I did the tying.  And, yup, am here to say that it worked.  Have four strands of beads on the lamp shade now and will continue all the way around.  The idea was to have a matching lamp and curtain. 

Have already decided to put the beads away after the lamp is finished.  Next major project is to crochet a valance for our patio doors.  When we lived in our first home, I crocheted kitchen curtains.  When we moved, I thought it would be nice to leave them for the new owner.  One can never go wrong by doing something good, so it's not right that I entertain any regret.  Did a little surfing and found the off-white thread and placed the order.  Think a pattern is already dancing inside my head.  Need a break from the beads.....especially since suffering an injury.  Can't help but wonder how I'll hurt myself with a crochet hook! 

4 comments:

  1. That lamp shade is going to be so cool. You could start your own business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today am going to work on the shade like I'm on a road gang. Trust me, after it's finished, there'd be a price tag of no less than a few thousand bucks. My crazy ideas are driving me crazier than I already am!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those you crocheting those kitchen curtains.
    This lampshade is going to be so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lamp shade still not finished. Today will work on it again. Thank heaven I didn't attempt a larger lamp shade. Just might have been faced with defeat. Photos will be posted of curtains and lamp when finished.

    ReplyDelete