Sunday, November 7, 2021

SELF-RELIANCE

Spent a quiet Saturday at home.  Finished reading Agatha Christie's "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd."  What a read......couldn't put the book down.  

Finished the book, then got on YT and watched "Our Family Wedding."  A Spanish gal and black guy fall in love, and the story is about them wanting to get married.  Family interference on both sides just about ruins the couple's relationship, but love prevails.  

Today's Sunday.  Clocks are turned back one hour.  Heard that this may be the last time change, but don't know if that's fact or more false news.  Between false news a/k/a lies and muddled manure, how's the average mind supposed to cope.

We're a sleepy crew here today.  Cuddy will be staying with us one more week.  His parents sent photos yesterday of Ralph Waldo Emerson's home and Louisa May Alcott's home.  A copy of Emerson's Self-Reliance lives by my bedside as one of my choice reads.  It's the kind of book one can pick up and read snippets, then put it back down.  Perhaps Emerson's Self-Reliance, as much as any other book, has shaped my approach to living life.  

Makes me shiver to think what will happen to my cherished books when I depart this world.  Maybe that's why I'm known to pick up old worn-out books in thrift stores.....thinking maybe they once belonged to a lonely soul who's long forgotten.  Books contain the wisdom of other humans, and that's how past generations live on to guide and sustain us.  The more tattered the book, the more appealing to my heart.  I imagine the fingers and hands that turned its pages and the eyes that followed its words from beginning to end.

Sadly, when I take inventory of the devoted readers on both sides of the family, they add up to zero.  Not too promising a future for my beloved library of dearest friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment