Tuesday, June 28, 2022

STAVE CHURCH

Yesterday I read Agatha Christie's play, The Mouse Trap.  Am probably the only person on the planet who's not seen the play or read the story, so had to satisfy my curiosity.  Have read so many of Agatha's mysteries that I actually wondered if the policeman might be the murderer.....and he was.  

The boyfriend left a bit ago for the workshop.  Cuddy and I are savoring our time together.  Received photos from Cuddy's parents in Norway.  They sent a picture of them visiting the Borgund Stave Church built in 1180. 

A bit of research on my part finds that stave churches are Norway's most important contribution to world architecture and Norway's oldest preserved timber buildings.  The Borlund stave church pictured is known as the most distinctive church in Norway.  It features lavishly carved portals and crosses and carvings of dragon's heads on the roofs.  

Mind travel is one of my favorite things to do.  One doesn't have to actually be at a place to be fascinated by it or learn about it.  A good sense of imagination and the ability to put oneself into a faraway place is doable and gratifying.  The gypsy spirit within me would've loved to travel parts of the world, especially the European countries.  Many of our friends have taken tours to these places and tell me they're beyond description.  I cherish my trip to Italy and continue to privately relive my time there.  Beyond a doubt, it was the time of my life.  Actually think I've left part of my heart in all the places I've visited.  We've also found that some amazing things exist close to home.  So often we overlook that which is closest and focus on that which is the farthest.  Wonder why that is.

3 comments:

  1. Wayward souls yearning to venture.
    Borlund Church is amazing and so interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burgundy's best friend, husband and two daughters just finished their 3rd Mediterranean cruise and then visited parts of Italy. Their oldest daughter lives there with her military husband and two children. Funny, growing up, the two were known as Bug and Fish. Still are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought, too, the Borlund Church is a fine remnant of another era of time.
    How neat that Burgundy's best friend has travel experiences. There's nothing like a lifetime friendship that starts as little girls with sweet nicknames.

    ReplyDelete