Thursday, September 7, 2023

TWO TOADS


Debbie sent me this picture she took of two toads sitting side by side.  What amazes me is their coloring.  One is almost orange with brown spots, and the other is brown and white.  I'm not a herpetologist, so can't claim to know their species.  To me, they're simply toads of different races.  Can't say that I've ever seen two such as these spending time together.  It's another one of those instances where one has to pay close attention in order to capture a sight like this.  

The little bit I do know about toads is that they don't cause harm to humans.  They don't have teeth, but humans can get allergic reactions from their secretions.  When we were kids, we were told that we'd get warts if we touched a toad.  

All of Earth's inhabitants have a purpose.  Toads provide a service to the ecosystem by eating lots of insects, including mosquitoes.  If amphibians die, insect populations could skyrocket and threaten humans, livestock and plants.  Guess we'd better appreciate these little buggers for what they do while we are not paying attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment