Friday, June 7, 2024

WON'T YOU COME TO OUR GARDEN......

Was asked to share pictures of the boyfriend's Venny garden, so today is the day.  He kindly took photos yesterday so I could share them with my followers.  We have a flower/garden committee, with a master gardener as the chairman.  She is a widowed farm lady.  There are 18 garden plots plus communal plots.  The private plots are marked with blue flags, the communal plots with yellow flags.  This means that anyone can help themselves to the areas marked with yellow.  

The boyfriend worked hard building the wooden raised beds for the garden.  He's the chair of the workshop.  In a place like Venny, it's interesting to see what each person or couple brings to the family of friends.  Dale is head of the workshop, and I write an article for the monthly newsletter plus type and design flyers for various events here.  There are others who plan and host activities and special pot-lucks.  Others care for the flower gardens scattered on the grounds.  There are no expectations, only the opportunity to pitch in.  We are a family.

This was taken from outside the fence to show the beautiful peonies that are blossoming.  The 8' fence is to keep the deer out.  We have deer wandering around the grounds all the time.  One year a baby fawn was found snuggled among these peony bushes.  Her mama put her there for safety.

This is the boyfriend's garden.  I can't claim any part of it, cuz he's the only one who tends and works to keep it tidy.  The garden is also a place to gather and chat.  

We're eating onions and radishes.  The other day I sliced a few radishes, sprayed them with olive oil, then sprinkled them with sea salt.  Put 'em in the air fryer for a few minutes, and man alive, were they ever good.  

Tomorrow I'll show my herb garden that's out on the deck.  My growing expertise is limited to filling a sprinkling can with water and bestowing it on my green friends.   My contribution to a garden is chowing down on the bounty.

Tis a gorgeous day here.  We have the patio door open, the fresh air feels wonderful.  The temperature is 66 degrees.  I see there's an excessive heat warning in Arizona.  By 3 o'clock this afternoon 110 degrees F is forecast.  Yowza.

4 comments:

  1. Loved the pictures of the Venny Gardens with the blue and yellow flags, giving everyone a chance to share!
    Dale did a great job with the boxes! And the peonies…a bouquet everyday! Your “expertise” with the sprinkling I am sure is much appreciated…M. Thanks for the pictures, Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I add that I'm quite proficient with the sprinkling can. (giggle)

      Delete
  2. Your "boyfriend" did a great job on those boxes. I think raised beds are the way to go.
    Thank him for taking photos. That was nice.
    The peonies are the same color as mine. I'm lucky enough to have 5 bushes but still wish I had a medium pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peonies are gorgeous, but their blossoms are very short-lived. That's what makes them special, I guess. At home I had two medium pink, and they were so pretty. I'd pick big bouquets of them for my niece/daughter in honor of her June birthday.

      Delete