Wednesday, July 10, 2024

UNOLINGO and BRAIN

Bless me Father.....I confess to spending an allotted amount of my time every day working online word games and puzzles.  The latest one that I'm hooked on is called Unolingo found on USA Today.  Here's the link if you're interested:

https://games.usatoday.com/games/uclick-unolingo 

Here's a screen shot of today's puzzle.....

Each letter of the alphabet is used only once to solve the puzzle.  Some days it is a challenge, and I confess to asking for hints to help me.  The audit button will identify errors.  

The letters q, z and x are probably the ones to start with.  Anyway, that's how I approach the game.  USA Today Games offers a new game every day, so it's something to look forward to if you enjoy words.  

Our human brain is complex.  Each of us is described to be either right-brained or left-brained.

People who are left-brain thinkers are described as logical, analytical and orderly.  They have strong math and logic skills.  

People who are right-brain thinkers are expressive, imaginative and creative.   Described as free-thinking.

The brain contains two hemispheres.  The two sides communicate with each other.  The left hemisphere controls the muscles on the right side of the body, and the right hemisphere controls those on the left.  Science writer Carl Zimmer wrote, "No matter how lateralized the brain can get, though, the two sides still work together."

Like all scientific and non-scientific theories, there are those who debunk this idea.  The one and only reason I dare touch on a subject this far from my cranial capabilities is because I fit the right-brain theory to a T.  How well I remember my Daddy helping me with "story problems" in grade school.  I was as dumb as the proverbial stump when it came to figuring them out.  Daddy must've been a left-brainer, cuz it was a piece of cake for him.  I remember in high school him helping me with algebra.  That was another dread for me, but at his age he was able to work out the problem on paper and get the answer.  To this day, me and math are like water and oil, we simply don't mix well.  I believe in the right-left theory because it gives me an excuse for my mathematically deficient noggin.

Yes, every day I work word puzzles.  Unolingo is probably the most challenging one, and that's why I share it here.  It's maybe a couple of months ago when I discovered the game, and now every morning I look forward to solving the daily puzzle. 

If the left brain is a scientist and the right brain is an artist, I'm certain that I'm not a rocket scientist.  Sure wish Daddy would have known about this brain theory.  I can still hear him say to me, "Why can't you understand this?"

5 comments:

  1. Well there goes the rest of my morning!!! Wordle…Sudoku and now this delightful distraction!!! Question…can be half and half…love math problems…but love arts and crafts?…M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M......After a bit of checking, here's what I find about those who could claim both: "You may have even heard the term 'golden brain' used to refer to people who use both sides of their brain equally." ....... How's that for learning something new today!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. TC ~ I stumbled through Algebra, too Never made sense to me. It's getting so, if I can't sleep in the night, I do my Wordle and Connections then. LOL I so enjoy word & brain games. Gotta go. Gotta check out Unolingo. TaTa

    ReplyDelete
  3. TC ~ tried it, got all but 2 letters and one was a vowel. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TC.....I just knew you'd love this word game!!!!!!

      Delete