Monday, March 18, 2024

PORTRAITS POSTMAN and DR. GACHET

Toward the end of this week, I will introduce Van Gogh's most famous paintings, the ones often seen in prints.  My initial intent was to peek in at the various stages of Vincent's life, and the paintings and drawings he did during those times.  This has been a study I've wanted to do.  My dad's aunt was an artist, as I'm told.  But, I was never lucky enough to be introduced to any of her works.

In high school, I took first year art.  The teacher is as vivid in my memory as a nightmare.  One of our projects was to paint a still life.  She sat some stuff out on a table and had us do our best.  I painted what I thought equaled a Van Gogh, but when it was handed back to me with an F, I cried right on the spot.  That grade would drastically affect my chances of getting on the honor roll.  I went right down to the principal's office (female warden) and begged her to let me quit so the F wouldn't ruin my grades.  Thankfully, she allowed me that request.  As for me, that was the end of my art education.  It wasn't as if she asked me to paint a vase and I painted a bird.  This was in the beginning of the class, when we really hadn't had any instruction yet.  Regardless, that b___ch managed to kill something inside me with that one grade.  Now, I buy the adult coloring books and that's as far as my confidence allows me to go.  




Postman - 1888
Joseph Roulin, postman in Arles France, was one of Van Gogh's closest friends and favorite poser.  He painted at least six portraits of Roulin.  He wore his official blue hat bearing the word 'Postes' in gold.  His suit is blue with gold buttons.  Vincent wrote to brother Theo:  "...he has a silent gravity and tenderness for me such as an old soldier might have for a young one." Vincent considered Roulin a combination father, mother, patron saint, Oriental sage and loving, all-forgiving Christ.

This painting highlights Vincent's strong admiration for Japanese art.  This influence is evident here the bold multi-colored beard and the floral wallpaper  background.   Again, notice the expression in the eyes.  

At the top of the portrait Vincent humbly signed his name in small print.

After Van Gogh entered the asylum in St. Remy in May of 1889, he never saw Roulin again.  Postman Roulin died 13 years later, but lives on in Van Gogh's vivid portraits.

Another interesting portrait is Dr. Gachet......

Portrait of Doctor Gachet - 1890

Remember Marguerite Gachet at the Piano?  This is a portrait of her father, Dr. Paul Gachet, a homeopathic doctor who took care of Vincent the last years of his life.    He did three paintings of the doctor, all in a somber mood and melancholic stance.  

Vincent's first impression of Dr. Gachet was unfavorable.  Writing to Theo.......  "I think that we must not count on Dr. Gachet at all.  First of all, he is sicker than I am, I think, or shall we say just as much, so that's that.  Now when one blind man leads another blind man, don't they both fall into the ditch?"

The doctor is holding the foxglove plant, which he grew in his backyard herbal garden.  Pay close attention to his masterfully painted eyes and hands.  And the brush strokes in the jacket.  And the many shades of blue.

In 1990, the painting was sold for $82.5 million at auction, a record-breaking price, which is still one of the highest prices ever paid for a painting at auction.

3 comments:

  1. Loved these portraits!!!…but honestly, Leanne, no one should get an “F” in a discipline where you should be allowed to express yourself…I give that teacher an “F” in art and in teaching…M

    ReplyDelete