Wednesday, March 13, 2024

ENCAMPMENT OF GYPSIES

Today's post begins with a quotation that is particularly meaningful to me.  Biological relationships can and should be a beautiful part of life.  But, that's not always the case.  It's that business of when one door closes, another door opens.  When family members turn their backs on us, well, then, we don't cry in our soup, but rather replace them with true friends that, over the years, grow to be true family.  I, personally, see this as a beautiful part of life, and for it I'm eternally grateful.  Genuine friends are stone solid family to my heart.
We have our patio door open, the fresh air feels divine.  I've been putting my olive plant out on the deck.  The poor thing has lived indoors ever since I bought it.  Am wanting to replant it, too, but don't have a planter.  She deserves to live in a nice home, too, so just may go online and buy her one.  I have a vision of an Italian painted planter, but I'm not gonna spend $100 for one.  I'm just too frugal for that.  Went to both thrift stores in town yesterday, but no luck.  A lot of people must be shopping at those stores, cuz both stores were really picked over.  Also have to get some potting soil for her.  The spring season gets one excited to tend to plants, and the thought of flowers on the deck gets me enthused.  
Encampment of Gypsies - 1888
The area surrounding Arles, France, had a tradition of gypsies living there.  Van Gogh was drawn to their unconventional way of life, and he depicted them in his paintings using vibrant colors that mirrored the colorful life of their culture.  The gypsies lived outside the community, much like Van Gogh, who was excluded from the social scene in Arles because of his unconventional behavior and appearance.  It was this lack of social interaction that deepened his despondency.  As can be seen by this painting, he admired their lifestyle and highlights their close-knit community spirit.  He includes ages from child to what appears to be an elderly man sitting beside the wagon.  The hint of a building on the right side beneath the tree.

Warm tones of yellow, orange and red are used to reflect the summer heat, while cooler tones of blue and green are used to represent shade and coolness. the brush strokes, and thickness of paint applied. 

The covered wagon leans beneath its load.  Might that wagon mirror the weight of his personal burdens? 🖌

4 comments:

  1. TC: Gypsies! Reminds me of conversations with someone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think someone should get that little girl out of the way of that wagon…or
    Is there a symbolism here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous......I believe the wagons are parked in place, and the little girl is simply walking around. That's my spin. Thanks for your comment, appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete