Saturday, March 9, 2024

L'HOMME EST EN MER (HER MAN IS OUT TO SEA)

Gotta share a sweet moment from yesterday.  Doorbell rang about 10:30 in the morning.  We were both piddling around on our laptops.  There he stood outside our door.  One of our friends passed a plate with four of the most beautiful freshly-baked cinnamon rolls on planet earth.  It could cause a fuss out here at Venny if I start hugging and kissing men, so my foot was on the brakes as we verbally expressed our thanks.  OMG.  To the moon and back with love.  That's what I mean when I say we dearly love where we live.  

Worked on my newsletter article yesterday.  My final tweaking of it came from yet another idea that came to me during sleep.  It feels like there's a tube from my brain to a Think Tank, and that tube feeds me trickles of thought when I'm clunked out.  Happens all the time.  I tell my boyfriend that if my body got the exercise my brain gets, I'd weigh about 60 pounds.  

In 1889, Van Gogh painted L'Homme Est En Mer (Her Man is Out to Sea), which is his own interpretation of a work of the same title by the French painter Virginie Demont-Breton. 

 
In a letter to his brother Theo he wrote, "I've copied that woman with a child sitting beside a hearth by Mrs. Demont-Breton.....I'm certainly going to continue copying, it will give me a collection of my own, and when it's sufficiently large and complete, I'll give the whole lot to a school."
 
L'homme est en mer  -1889
(Her Man Is Out to Sea)
Vincent's versions are more than just copies, because he ingrained them with his own sense of color and technique.

The first thing I noticed about this painting is the mother holding her baby's tiny foot.  That's an endearing element that punctuates a mother's love.  Vincent uses one of his favorite color combinations--warm yellow tones for the fire with cool blue shades of the woman's dress and wall behind her.  

I'm curious about the object that is painted to the right of the canvas as we face it.  In a way, it resembles a music stand, the kind where orchestra members place their sheet music.  I invite my readers to please offer thoughts of what this object might be.  I'm not able to find any reference to it.  My question:  what is its significance? 

About ten years ago at the Sotheby's London auction, this painting L'homme est en mer sold for $27.5 million.  The factors contributing to its price were global demand and an emphasis on the 'best of the best.'

3 comments:

  1. TC: Love this painting.
    My guess is some thing to do with thread/yarn for sorting/weaving. The three points resemble spindles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TC: Carding and separating of fibers. Looks like there are some on the apparatus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TC: Thank you for your input. It never occurred to me that' it had something to do with carding and weaving. Makes perfect sense!

    ReplyDelete