Tuesday, October 15, 2024

THERE'S SO MUCH TO SEE

Frost alert last night, so my olive plant came inside from the deck.  A freeze warning is in effect again tonight.  The temperature now is 42 degrees.  Sweatshirt weather is here, and I couldn't be happier.  

Last night was another movie marathon night for me.  Watched two movies that lasted until 3:30 a.m.  My brain was on a roll, so I had to talk myself down to where I could fall asleep.  That leaves me today with little desire to do more than watch  the murder trial that's going on down in Georgia.  Yesterday the forensic pathologist testified, and I was able to see photos of the scant remains of the victim's burned body.  A bullet was found lodged in a piece of a rib bone.  The defense is trying to take the blame off the wife and nail it instead onto one or both of the sons.  Watching these trials makes a person aware of just how many problems exist within prominent families and how well they're kept hidden from public awareness.  Shakespeare said it best, "All the world's a stage." 

Going back to our trolley the other day, here's a photo of a tree standing along the river in a campground.  It's a serene spot for campers who enjoy canoeing and kayaking.  My heart silently wished we were sitting in our camping chairs watching the leaves fall.    

It's interesting how we tend to photograph the parts of Nature that are unique in their own right.  Maybe it's the gnarly character of this tree, its obvious strength, endurance and imperfections.  It's still serving a purpose....wearing the arrow pointing to the area set aside for tents.  


I can't help but wonder how many birds have sat on its branches, how many squirrels have scampered up and down its trunk.  When and how was it first planted?  How many cuddly nests have its branches held?  How many baby animals were born in those nests?  What storms has it lived through?  And, imagine the campers who have sat beneath it drinking beers and roasting hot dogs.  Every single part of Nature has its own story, but it is only us humans who have a voice with which to share ourselves with the world.  In order for us to appreciate every single part of Nature, we have to slow down, explore, discover and respect.  I wish this tree could know that someone truly values its existence enough to write a blog about it today.

1 comment: